Claus S. Schroeder Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains maps of Kiska Island, Alaska drawn by Schroeder (1943).
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
Claus Schroeder was born in Norway in 1905 and enlisted in the Army at Ft. Jay, Governors Island, N.Y. in 1942. At the time of his enlistment he was single, a U.S. citizen, and worked as a salesman. Schroeder joined the 10th Mountain Division at Fort Lewis, Wash. and was assigned to Company F of the 87th Infantry Regiment, later reassigned to Company K. He also served at Camp Hale, Colo.; Fort Ord, Calif.; Kiska, Alaska; Camp Carson, Colo.; and Camp Swift, Tex. before being sent to Italy. While serving in Italy, Schroeder was killed in action in April 1945 and was posthumously awarded the Bronze Star medal. He had attained the rank of Staff Sergeant.
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift, Turi Schroeder, 1987.
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of: 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Carson (Colo.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Camp Hale (Colo.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Camp Swift (Tex.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Military maps Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Schroeder, Claus S., 1905-1945 -- Archives.
- Ski troops. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Maps. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 87th.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Pictorial works. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script