John P. Skillern Papers
Scope and Contents
Collection contains a single photo album and loose black and white photographs of soldiers skiing, snow, ice and rock climbing at Mt. Ranier, Wash. and Camp Hale, Colo., Seneca rocks training (1942-1943). Some individuals are identified. Color photograph of Skillern, Paul Laferty, Olaf Rodegard, Garry Gast at a 10th Mountain reunion (n.d.).
- circa 1942-1944, 1980
- Skillern, John,1920-2011. (Person)
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The imply Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
John P. Skillern was born in Boise, Idaho in 1920 and enlisted in the Army at Portland, Oregon on August 3, 1942. At the time of enlistment he was married, had completed four years of college, and working as a transportation agent. Skillern joined the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Hale, Colorado and was assigned to the 10th Mountain Cavalry. He was later with the Mountain Training Group, Service Company, and finally with Company A of the 86th Infantry Regiment. Skillern transferred to Camp Swift, Texas before being sent to Italy where he engaged in combat operations against the Germans. He attained the rank of Sergeant. Skillern died in Lane County, Oregon on January 6, 2011.
1 photo box
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift; Unknown; Unknown.
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of: 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Black-and-white photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Camp Hale (Colo.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Camp Swift (Tex.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions -- Pictorial works. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- National Association of the 10th Mountain Division, Inc.
- Photograph albums Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops -- Pictorial works. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Skillern, John, 1920-2011 -- Archives.
- Soldiers -- United States -- Pictorial works. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 86th.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Pictorial works. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- John P. Skillern Papers
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script