Eric E. Wikner Papers
Scope and Contents
Collection contains color, b/w photos of the 87th Mountain Infantry, mountain and winter warfare training center; letter from Bob Dole.
- Wikner, Eric E.,1908-1987. (Person)
- Wikner, Eric E., Mrs., (Person)
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The imply Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
Eric E. Wikner was born on December 15, 1908 above the Arctic Circle in Swedish Lapland. He entered Military Service in 1931 and was commissioned in November 1935. He received his assignment with 77th Division in New York City in Colonel Teddy Roosevelt’s Battalion. He organized, equipped and trained the First Experimental Ski Patrol in December 1940. On activation of the First Battalion of the 87th Infantry Regiment at Fort Lewis, Washington, he was assigned as Supervisor of Ski Training, and he organized three winter instruction detachments for training in Mountain Operations. He served in the 44th Infantry Division Ski Patrol; Service Company of the 87th Infantry Regiment; Company E and Headquarters of the First Battalion of the 87th Infantry Regiment; Headquarters of the Third Battalion of the 86th Infantry Regiment; and Headquarters of the Third Battalion of the 85th Infantry Regiment. He was assigned to Fort Lewis, Washington; Camp Hale, Colorado; and Camp Swift, Texas; before being sent to Italy. While engaged in combat operations against German forces occupying Italy, he received the Bronze Star Medal for his actions at Mt. Belvedere on February 20, 1945. He received the Oak Leaf Cluster to the Bronze Star for his actions at the Po River area on April 23, 1945. Wikner attained the rank of Major during his service with the 10th Mountain Division and he retired from the Military with a rank of Lieutenant Colonel. He passed away in 1987.
1 photo box
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift; Mrs. Eric E. Wikner; Unknown.
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of: 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Hale (Colo.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Camp Swift (Tex.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Dole, Robert J., 1923- -- Correspondence.
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Pictorial works. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Infantry Division, 44th. Ski Patrol.
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 86th.
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 87th -- Pictorial works.
- United States. Army. Mountain Infantry Regiment, 85th.
- Wikner, Eric E., 1908-1987 -- Archives.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Pictorial works. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Eric E. Wikner Papers
- Keli Schmid
- April 23, 2020
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Denver Public Library, Western History and Genealogy Repository
10 W. 14th Ave. Pkwy
Denver CO 80204 United States