Sidney L. Foil Papers
Scope and Contents
Collection includes correspondence describing the breakup of the 90th Infantry (1999), copy of Foil's autobiography: The Life and Times of Sidney L. Foil (2009).
- 1999, 2009
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
Sidney L. Foil was born in Bogalusa, La. on June 19, 1924. In 1936, the Foil family moved to Bernalillo, N.M. and then to McNary, Ariz. Foil graduated from high school in 1941 and was inducted into the Army at Phoenix on February 16, 1943. He joined the 10th Mountain Division, where he was assigned to Company L of the 87th Infantry Regiment and later participated in the invasion of Kiska Island, Alaska. After his return to Camp Carson, Colo., Foil transferred to the 90th Infantry Regiment and then to the 82nd Chemical Mortar Battalion.
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift, Sidney Foil, 2009.
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of: 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Autobiographies (documents) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Camp Carson (Colo.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Foil, Sidney L., 1924- -- Archives.
- Kiska Island (Alaska) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Ski troops. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Correspondence. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 87th.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script