Donald B. Davol Papers
Scope and Contents
Collection contains approximately 200 letters sent by Davol during WWII (1943-1945).
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The imply Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
Donald B. Davol was born in Stamford, Connecticut in 1925 and enlisted in the Army at New Haven, Connecticut on September 2, 1943. At the time of enlistment he was unmarried and had completed two years of high school. Davol joined the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Hale, Colorado, where he was assigned to Company F of the 90th Infantry Division. He later transferred to Company L, 86th Infantry Regiment and then Headquarters Company of the 3rd Battalion. Davol also served at Camp Swift, Texas before being sent to Italy. During combat operations he received a Bronze Star medal for his actions during the Apennines and Po River engagements in Spring 1945. Davol died in 1997.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift; Phebe and Frank Davol; 2009.
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of: 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Hale (Colo.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Camp Swift (Tex.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Davol, Donald B., 1925-1997 -- Archives.
- Letters (correspondence) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Ski troops. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Correspondence. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 86th.
- United States. Army. Mountain Infantry Regiment, 90th.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Donald B. Davol Papers
- Keli Schmid
- May 7, 2020
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script