Gordon Stimson Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains the following biographical materials: articles, clippings related to Stimson's career as a mortgage banker (1969-1970); "Operation Mule" by Gordon Stimson (n.d.); "Gordon Stimson: Autobiographical Notes and Letters" (1999); 68 color slides depicting Kiska, Adak, Attu and Dutch Habor in the Aleutian Island with numerous soldiers of the 87th Mountain Infantry Regiment identified (n.d.).
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
Gordon Stimson was born in Los Angeles, Cal. in 1905. He completed four years of college and was working as an officer manager when he enlisted in the Army in March 1942 at Fort MacArthur, San Pedro, Calif. Stimson received an officer's commission following training at Fort Benning, Ga. He joined the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Hale, Colo. and served with the 86th Infantry Regiment. During combat operation in Italy, he was awarded the Bronze Star Medal. Following the war, Stimson worked as a mortgage banker and president of the firm of the Wallace Moir Company. He died in Carmel, Calif. in June 1982.
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift, Sherman Smith, undated; Thomas Holz, undated.
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of: 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Autobiographies (documents) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Camp Hale (Colo.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Clippings (information artifacts) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Color slides. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Manuscripts (documents) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Ski troops. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Correspondence. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Stimson, Gordon, 1905-1982 -- Archives.
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 86th.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script