George V. Gillette Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains a scrapbook with newspaper clippings (1942-1945).
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
George V. Gillette was born in Ashland, Oregon in 1908 and enlisted in the Army at San Francisco, California in March 1942. At the time of enlistment he was married, had four years of college and working as a salesman. He joined the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Hale, Colorado where he was assigned to Battery C of the 604th Field Artillery Battalion. Gillette later served at Camp Swift, Texas and in Italy. He received the Bronze Star medal for his actions near Mont Della Torraccia in February 1945 and attained the rank of Captain. Gillette died in Taos, New Mexico in 1992.
1 oversize folio
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift; Dixie M. Gillette; 1995.
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of: 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Hale (Colo.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Camp Swift (Tex.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Clippings (information artifacts) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Gillette, George V., 1908-1992 -- Archives.
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- National Association of the 10th Mountain Division, Inc.
- Scrapbooks Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Field Artillery Battalion, 604th.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- George V. Gillette Papers
- Keli Schmid
- March 24, 2020
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script