Joseph J. Duncan Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains an assortment of biographical materials, correspondence, military records (1943), clippings. In addition there is correspondence in support of a memorial for Duncan (2003); and other papers related to the Fort Carson, Colo. USAR Center (2000).
- Duncan, Joseph Jonathan.,-1945. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
Joseph Jonathan Duncan joined the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Lewis, Wash. He was assigned to Company A of the 87th Infantry Regiment, and also served in Company I of the 86th, 10th Division Headquarters, Mountain Training Group, and with Companies K and L of the 87th Infantry Division. He transferred to Camp Hale, Colo. and Camp Swift, Tex. before going to Italy. He received the Bronze Star medal for action at Mt. Della Vedetta; the Silver Star medal for action at Madna Di Rodiano; a second Bronze Star for action in the Apennines and Po Valley in 1945. Captain Duncan was killed in action at C.Costa on April 17, 1945.
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of: 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Biographies (documents) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Camp Hale (Colo.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Camp Swift (Tex.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Clippings (information artifacts) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Duncan, Joseph Jonathan., - 1945 -- Archives.
- Military records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Correspondence. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 86th.
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 87th.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script