Howard R. Koch Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains correspondence (1943-1945, 1986, 1999); OCS Class #359 photo (1944); copies of photographs (1945) and a copy of Koch's memoir (1999, 2002); copy of The Damn Tree Leaks by cartoonist Bill Mauldin used as an autograph album by members of Company C, 86th Infantry Regiment (ca.1945).
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
Howard Koch was born in Oakland, Calif. in 1925 and enlisted in the Army at San Francisco, Calif. in 1943. At the time of his enlistment he had one year of college and was unmarried. Koch joined the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Hale, Colo. and also served at Camp Carson, Colo. before being sent to Italy. He served in several units: Headquarters of the 1st Battalion and of the 2nd Battalion of the 86th Infantry Division; Headquarters of the 2nd Battalion of the 87th Infantry Division; Company I of the 90th Infantry Regiment; Companies I, F and M of the 85th and Company C of the 86th Infantry Divisions. Koch was awarded the Bronze Star medal for his actions at Sassomolare in March 1945. He received an officer's commission during his Army career, attaining the rank of Second Lieutenant.
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift, Howard Koch, 2002, 2010.
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of: 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
Photographs transferred to 10th Mountain Division Digitized Photographs Collection (TMD351)
- Camp Carson (Colo.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Camp Hale (Colo.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Copy prints Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Koch, Howard R., 1925- -- Archives.
- Memoirs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Correspondence. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 86th.
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 87th.
- United States. Army. Mountain Infantry Regiment, 85th.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script