Andrew L. Lucas Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains correspondence (1943-1944, 1945, 1968-1997); military records (1943-1945); annotated maps of Italy (ca.1945); Photographs of Camp Hale, Colo. reunion (1987), military training (1943-1945).
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The imply Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
Andrew L. Lucas was born in Ironwood, Michigan in 1924 and enlisted in the Army at Los Angeles, California in 1943. At the time of his enlistment he had completed four years of high school and was unmarried. Lucas joined the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Hale, Colorado and was assigned to Headquarters of the 1st Battalion of the 86th Infantry Regiment. He was transferred to Camp Swift, Texas and then to Italy where he served in Company K of the 86th and Companies F and G of the 85th Infantry Regiment. Lucas attained the rank of Sergeant and was awarded the Bronze Star medal for his actions at Cappla Di Ronchidos Hill 1027 in February 1945. He was also wounded in action at Marzola Hill in April 1945.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift; Andrew L. Lucas; 1978, 2003.
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
Collection incorporates former collection -M2018 and photo collection #2005.035.
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of: 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Hale (Colo.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Camp Swift (Tex.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Lucas, Andrew L., 1924- -- Archives.
- Maps (documents) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Military records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Correspondence. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 86th.
- United States. Army. Mountain Infantry Regiment, 85th.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Andrew L. Lucas Papers
- Keli Schmid
- April 21, 2020
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script