William L. Putnam Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains copies of manuscripts and correspondence related to the publication of Parker's book: "The Tenth Mountain" (1978-1990); photographs of Kiska Island, Alaska, Italian Campaign locations (ca.1989); copies of battle maps and maps of Camp Hale, Colo. (n.d.).
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The imply Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
William Lowell Putnam was born in Springfield, Massachusetts in 1924 and enlisted in the Army in 1942. He joined the 10th Mountain Division at Fort Lewis, Washington and was assigned to the 87th Mountain Infantry Regiment. Putnam also served at Camp Hale, Colorado and Camp Swift, Texas, and saw action at Kiska Island, Alaska in 1943. He attended Officer's Candidate School in 1944 and returned to the 10th Mountain Division as a 2nd Lieutenant in 1944. Highly decorated, Putnam received a Purple Heart for wounds suffered near Pianosinatico, Italy in February 1945 and was awarded the Silver Star for action during the battle of Castel d'Aiano in April 1945. He also received the Bronze Star and Good Conduct medals.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift; William Putnam; 1991.
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of: 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Battlefield maps Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Camp Hale (Colo.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Camp Swift (Tex.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Manuscripts for publication Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Putnam, William L., 1924- -- Archives.
- Ski troops. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Correspondence. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 87th.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- William L. Putnam Papers
- Keli Schmid
- March 26, 2020
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script