John W. Pollock Papers
Scope and Contents
Collection contains 2 photograph albums (1943-1944) with images from Camp Hale (Colo.) showing enlisted men, buildings, camp personnel, informal gatherings, the Weasel, Cooper Hill Ski training area, aerial tramway and bridges, pack mules, equipment, mountains.
- Pollock, John W.,1919-2001. (Person)
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The imply Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
John W. Pollock was born in Pennsylvania on March 1, 1919 and enlisted in the Army at Spokane, Washington on April 3, 1941. At the time of enlistment he was unmarried, had completed two years of high school and working as a lumberman. Pollock joined the 10th Mountain Division at Fort Lewis, Washington and also served at Camp Hale (Colorado) and Camp Swift (Texas). He was with Companies A, L and C of the 87th Infantry Regiment; Headquarters and the Service Companies of 86th Infantry Regiment; and Company G of the 85th Infantry Regiment. During combat operations in Italy, Pollock was awarded the Bronze Star medal for his actions at the Apennines and the Po Valley in April 1945. He attained the rank of Staff Sergeant. Pollock died in Cortland, Ohio on May 23, 2001.
2 photo boxes
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift; Unknown; Unknown.
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of: 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Black-and-white photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Camp Hale (Colo.) -- Pictorial works. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Military maneuvers -- Pictorial works. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Military records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photograph albums Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Pollock, John W., 1919-2001 -- Archives.
- Ski troops -- Pictorial works. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Pictorial works. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 86th.
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 87th.
- United States. Army. Mountain Infantry Regiment, 85th.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Pictorial works. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- John W. Pollock Papers
- Keli Schmid
- April 23, 2020
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script