Charles R. Engle Papers
Scope and Contents
Collection contains newspaper clippings related to Engle's death (1945), correspondence and general order concering the posthumous award of the Bronze Star (1945), b/w photos and negatives of Engle at training camp (ca.1944).
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The imply Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
Charles R. Engle was born in Chicago, Illinois on December 10, 1924 to Charles F. and Loretta Engle. He served with the 10th Mountain Division as a member of Company A, 90th Infantry Regiment, and later with Company L of the 85th Infantry Regiment. Engle received mountain and winter warfare training at Camp Hale, Colorado and standard infantry training at Camp Swift, Texas prior to deployment to Italy. During combat operations, Engle was killed in action near Le Tane, Italy on March 5, 1945. He posthumously received the Bronze Star medal for heroic achievement and is buried in the U.S. military cemetary at Florence, Italy.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift; Skip Engle; 2009.
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of: 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Black-and-white photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Camp Hale (Colo.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Clippings (information artifacts) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Engle, Charles R., 1924-1945 -- Archives.
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Ski troops -- Pictorial works. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Pictorial works. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Mountain Infantry Regiment, 85th.
- United States. Army. Mountain Infantry Regiment, 90th.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Charles R. Engle Papers
- Keli Schmid
- May 7, 2020
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script