Henry S. Spies Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains two diaries written by Spies during military training at Camp Hale, Colo. (1944) and while on tour of duty in Italy (Jan.-Aug., 1945); 37 b/w photographs of soldiers and military maneuvers at Camp Hale, Colo., furloughs to Leadville, Idaho Springs, Colorado Springs, and Denver, Colo. (1943-1944).
- Spies, Henry S.,1918- (Person)
- Spies, Henry S., 1918- (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
Henry S. Spies was born in 1918 and was a resident of N.Y. state when he enlisted in the Army in 1943. Spies joined the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Hale, Colo. and was assigned to Company A of the 86th Infantry Regiment. He also served at Camp Swift, Tex. before being sent to Italy. Spies attained the rank of Sergeant and was awarded the Bronze Star medal for his actions at Nago, Italy in May 1945.
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift, Henry S. Spies, 1999, 2000.
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of: 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Black-and-white photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Camp Hale (Colo.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Camp Swift (Tex.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Diaries Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Ski troops. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Snapshots. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Soldiers -- United States -- Diaries. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Spies, Henry S., 1918- -- Archives.
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 86th.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Denver Public Library, Western History and Genealogy Repository
10 W. 14th Ave. Pkwy
Denver CO 80204 United States