John Best Wolffis Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains family correspondence (n.d., 1980s, 1990s); copies of maps (1945); copies of photographs (1943-1945); 10th Mountain Division related ephemera (n.d.).
- Wolffis, John Best,1922-1996. (Person)
- Wolffis, Wilhelmina, (Person)
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The imply Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
John Wolffis was born August 26, 1922, in Muskegon, Michigan, son of Orrie and Jennie Wolffis. He enlisted in the Army January 29, 1943, at Kalamazoo, Michigan. At the time of his enlistment he had completed four years of high school, was a draftsman and was single, without dependents. He joined the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Hale, Colorado, and was assigned to Company A of the 86th Infantry Regiment. He was transferred to Camp Swift, Texas, before being sent to Italy. While engaged in combat operations against German forces occupy he was awarded the Bronze Star medal for his actions in the Apennine Mountains and Po valley. He attained the rank of Staff Sergeant. As a civilian, he married Wilhelmina Kooiman and had a career as a tool designer and engineer. Wolffis died in 1996.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift; Wilhelmina Wolffis; 1997, 1999.
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
Formerly cataloged under -M2049.
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of: 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Hale (Colo.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Camp Swift (Tex.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Copy prints Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ephemera (general object genre) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Maps (documents) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Ski troops. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Correspondence. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 86th.
- Wolffis, John Best, 1922-1996 -- Archives.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- John Best Wolffis Papers
- Keli Schmid
- July 28, 2020
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Denver Public Library, Western History and Genealogy Repository
10 W. 14th Ave. Pkwy
Denver CO 80204 United States