Ina J. N. Durfee Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains a 1928 letter between Ina J. N. Durfee and her friend, Clara L. Fullerton as well as three photographs of Ina J. Nagel with other students dating from approximately 1900 during her time at Wolfe Hall. Included are four drafts of the fictionalized story about her life as a young girl in Black Hawk, Colorado: "A Colorado Childhood" and an introduction to the story by the Colorado writer, Sandra Dallas.
- 1928, circa 1960
- Ina J. N. Durfee. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
Ina J. Nagel was born in Denver, Colorado in 1882. She spent her early childhood in Black Hawk, Colorado the setting for her story "A Colorado Childhood" before attending Wolfe Hall, an Episcopal women's seminary originally located on Clarkson Street, between 13th (Thirteenth) and 14th (Fourteenth) Avenues in the Capitol Hill neighborhood of Denver. In 1903 she married the writer Edward Calvin Durfee (b.1874) and spent most of the rest of her life living on the east coast in New York City until her death in Alexandria, Virginia in 1981 at the age of 99.
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift, Sandra Dallas, 2007.
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
- Black Hawk (Colo.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Drafts (documents) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Gilpin County (Colo.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Grey literature Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ina J. N. Durfee #d 1882-1981 -- Archives.
- Letters (correspondence) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Short stories -- Black Hawk, Colorado Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Wolfe Hall (Denver, Colo.) -- 1890-1900.
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script