William R. Downey Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains Downey's military papers (1945); 9 loose photographs (1943-1945); and a photograph album containing 112 photos of Camp Hale, Colo., Aspen, Colo., Lake Garda, Italy and the Po River, Italy (1943-1945).
- Downey, William Richard. (Person)
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
William Richard "Bill" Downey entered active military service as a Second Lieutenant on February 28, 1941 at Pine Camp, New York. He was originally a member of the 24th Armed Engineer Battalion at Nashville, Tennessee. He later joined the 10th Mountain Division as a First Lieutenant. In Italy, Downey was assigned to Headquarters of the 126th Mountain Engineering Battalion, later serving with Company C. He was awarded the Bronze Star medal for his actions near San Benedetto Po on April 23, 1945.
1 photo box
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift; Unknown; Unknown.
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of: 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Hale (Colo.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Downey, William Richard -- Archives.
- Military papers Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photograph albums Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Pictorial works. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Mountain Engineering Battalion, 126th -- Archival resources
- William R. Downey Papers
- Keli Schmid
- March 24, 2020
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Denver Public Library, Western History and Genealogy Repository
10 W. 14th Ave. Pkwy
Denver CO 80204 United States