Caspar F. Cowan Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains copies of three memoirs written by Cochran: "A Staff Sergeant's View of Mt. Belvedere" (ca.1997); "Kiska: The Biggest Dry Run of the Ski Trooper Clan" (ca.19970; "In the North Apennines of Italy, Winter 1945" (ca.1997); and copies of twenty photographs dating from 1943-1944.
- 1943-1944, 1997
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
Caspar Cowan was born in Calais, Me., in 1915 and joined the Army as a Private at Boston, Mass. in 1942. At the time of his enlistment, he had one year of college and was unmarried. Cowan joined the 10th Mountain Division at Fort Lewis, Wash. and was assigned to Company E of the 87th Infantry Regiment, later transferring to Company G of the 87th. He served at Camp Hale, Colo., Fort Ord, Tex., Kiska Island, Alaska, Camp Carson, Colo., and Camp Swift, Tex. before being sent to Italy. Cowan received the Bronze Star medal for his actions near Polla in 1945. After service in Italy, as a 1st Lieutenant he commanded Company E of the 87th at Camp Carson, Colo.
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift, Caspar Cowan, 1997.
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of: 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Hale (Colo.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Camp Swift (Tex.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Copy prints Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Cowan, Caspar F., 1915- -- Archives.
- Memoirs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Ski troops. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Correspondence. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 87th.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script