William J. Terry Papers
Scope and Contents
Collection contains numerous letters written during Terry's time at Camp Wolter, Tex. (April 1943-August 1943), Camp Hale, Colo. (1943-1944), Camp Swift, Tex. (1944) and Italy (1945); newspaper clipping (April 6, 1943); and three photographs of Terry (1940s-1957).
- Majority of material found in 1943-1945
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The imply Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
William J. Terry was born in Washington in 1921 and enlisted in the U.S. Army on August 17, 1942 at Seattle, Washington. At the time of enlistment he was unmarried and had completed two year of college. Terry received his basic training at Camp Wolter, Texas before joining what became the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Hale, Colorado. He served in the Headquarters Company of the 85th Regiment and later with the 10th Mountain Division Headquarters Company. During combat operations in Italy, Terry received the Bronze Star medal for his actions during the Apennines and Po River campaigns in spring 1945. He died in 1993 in Seattle, Washington.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift; Joanne L. Terry; 2009.
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of: 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Hale (Colo.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Camp Swift (Tex.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Clippings (information artifacts) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Correspondence. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Terry, William J., 1921-1993 -- Archives.
- United States. Army. Mountain Infantry Regiment, 85th.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- William J. Terry Papers
- Keli Schmid
- April 23, 2020
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script