Ernest J. Davis oral history
Scope and Contents
The interview provides information and personal observations about Davis' basic training at Camp Hale, Colo.; the horse cavalry and horses being used in battle at Mt. Sigliano and Riva Ridge where their primary role was patrolling and locating mine fields; how German horses was superior to Italian; celebrations at the end of the war; role of the British battalion in Italy; career as a professional in military training after the war; assignment to Saudi Arabia in 1965.
- Check date
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Ernest J. "Jack" Davis was born in Boston, Mass. on August 24, 1924 and enlisted in the Army at Boston on May 17, 1943. At the time of enlistment he was single, had completed four years of high school and working as a welder. Davis joined the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Hale, Colo. where he served with Company I of the 86th Infantry Regiment; Company I of the 87th Infantry Regiment; Headquarters of the 87th and finally with the 10th Recon Cavalry Troops. During combat operations in Italy, Davis received a Bronze Star medal for his actions near Capri in April 1945. He attained the rank of Corporal, but after the war Davis eventually achieved the rank of Colonel. He later served in the Korean War and in Viet Nam and holds an additional 16 military decorations.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Ernest J. Davis;gift;2006. Myrna Hampton;gift;2006.
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of the 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Hale (Colo.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- DVDs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Davis, Ernest J., 1924- -- Interviews.
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mini-DV Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- National Association of the 10th Mountain Division, Inc. Armadillo chapter.
- Oral histories (document genres) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 86th.
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 87th.
- United States. Army. Mountain Infantry Regiment, 90th.
- United States. Army. Reconnaissance Cavalary, 10th.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Ernest J. Davis oral history,2005[videorecording]
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script