Glenn W. Brown oral history
Identifier: C MSS OH251
Scope and Contents
The interview provides information and Brown's personal observations about joining the 10th Mountain Division as a replacement soldier; discusses the attack on the day President Roosevelt died; lack of training for mountain warfare; some battles, in particular when Cpt. Rideout was killed; entering a German bunker during surrender.
- Check date
- Brown, Glenn W.,1921-2008. (Person)
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Glenn Walter Brown, Sr. was born in Woodward, Okla. on July 14, 1921 and enlisted in the Army at Oklahoma City, Okla. on August 18, 1942. At the time of enlistment he was unmarried, had attended one year of high school and working as a cook. Brown joined the 10th Mountain Division in Italy as a replacement soldier during the March offensive and served with Company F of the 86th Infantry Regiment. During combat operations, he received a Bronze Star medal for his actions at Torre Iussi and a Purple Heart at Mo Oca in Spring 1945. He later transferred to the 85th Division, 137th Infantry before discharge at the end of the war. He died on July 5, 2008 in Marlow, Okla.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Glenn W. Brown;gift;2006.
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of the 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Brown, Glenn W., 1921-2008 -- Interviews.
- DVDs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mini-DV Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- National Association of the 10th Mountain Division, Inc. Armadillo chapter.
- Oral histories (document genres) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 86th.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Glenn W. Brown oral history,2005[videorecording]
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script