David L. Ruffner Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection includes biographical information (1945, 1946); correspondence (1988).
- 1945, 1956, 1988
- Ruffner, David L.,1896-1973. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
David Ruffner was born in Charleston, W. Va. in 1896 and graduated from the Virginia Military Institute in 1917. He served in World War One as a First Lieutenant with the 26th Division. From 1925-1929 Ruffner taught military science and tactics as an Assistant Professor at Harvard University. In June 1940, he organized the 98th Field Artillery at Fort Lewis, Wash. and was elevated in rank to a full Colonel. After commanding the 183rd Pack Artillery, Ruffner was made commander of artillery at the Mountain Training Center at Camp Hale, Colo. When the 10th Mountain Division was activated in July 1943, he was promoted to Brigadier General and placed in command of the division's artillery. Ruffner served in Camp Swift, Tex. and in Italy, where he received the Bronze Star medal as Division Artillery Commander at Mount Belvedere (1945), a Silver Star medal for Po Valley Action (1945), and the Oak Leaf Cluster for his participation in the Apennines and Po Valley campaigns. General Ruffner died in 1973.
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of: 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Biography (genre) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Camp Hale (Colo.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Camp Swift (Tex.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Fort Lewis (Wash.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Generals -- United States. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Ruffner, David L., 1896-1973 -- Archives.
- Ski troops. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Denver Public Library, Western History and Genealogy Repository
10 W. 14th Ave. Pkwy
Denver CO 80204 United States