New Petrified Forest
Scope and Contents
Album from Singer's Petrified Forest and Broncho Dude Ranch with images of what is now Florissant Fossil Beds National Monument located in Teller County, Colorado. Views of sections of fossilized trees and the "New Petrified Forest pavilion."
- between 1927 and 1935
- Rosenstock Arts (Firm), (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
The Colorado Petrified Forest was a private concession and dude ranch that featured the Big Stump. The main lodge building was the old train depot from the town of Florissant. Inside the lodge were exhibits of fossils and a massive fireplace made out of petrified wood. The Colorado Petrified Forest was owned by the Singer family and ran from the 1920's until the area became a monument. It had previously been called the Coplen Petrified Forest.
1 photo folio
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Purchase, Rosenstock Arts, 1967.
Table of Contents
[Petrified tree] three branches grew from one root system, diameter 6 feet each -- [Petrified tree stump] height 10 1/2 feet, diameter 17 1/2 feet -- [Petrified wood] height 5 feet, diameter 5 feet -- [Petrified wood] showing growth by year by rings -- Living tree on petrified stump, diameter of petrified stump 15 feet -- Petrified [tree] with roots up -- Fallen tree, diameter 12 feet -- Volcanic lava -- [New Petrified Forest pavilion] -- [Petrified stump] diameter 10 feet.
- Albumen prints Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Black-and-white photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Florissant Fossil Beds National Monument (Colo.) -- History -- Photographs. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Petrified forests -- Colorado -- Photographs. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photograph albums Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Trees, Fossil -- Colorado -- Photographs. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the New Petrified Forest[graphic]
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description