Charles Stobie Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection includes numerous photographs: studio, group, and informal photographs; photographs of Stobie's house, painting studio, and Chicago apartment; and photographs of numerous famous western individuals. Many of the studio photos show Stobie in costume and posed as a frontiersman. Also included are a etter from Western frontiersman "Yellowstone" Kelly, Army scout for Gen. Nelson A. Miles, describing his life at his home "Cedar Lodge," a letter and poem: "To Capt. Jack Crawford," Army scout and poet; and a woodcut of Stobie, with description.
- circa 1860-circa 1931
- Stobie, Charles Stewart,1845-1931. (Person)
Language of Materials
Material is in English.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
Charles Stewart Stobie, a.k.a. "Mountain Charlie," was an early artist-documentarian of the Colorado frontier in the 1860's and 1870's. He was a colorful Denver, Colorado personality who worked as a scout, buffalo hunter, and was a member of the Ute Tribe and an intimate of many of the major figures and icons of the day. Born in Baltimore Maryland in 1845, he moved with his family to Chicago, Illinois in 1862-63, but later traveled to Colorado in 1865. Stobie returned to Chicago in 1875, where he lived and painted until his death in 1931.
4 photo boxes
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift, unknown donor, unknown date
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
Collection includes 28 modern copy prints.
Collection incorporates former collections: C Photo Collection 159; C MSS -M429; C MSS -M747.
Table of Contents
v.1. Studio portraits of Charles Stobie -- v.2. Studio portraits, individual and group, Charles Stobie -- v.3. Portraits of Charles Stobie, miscellaneous photographs -- v.4. Portraits of Johnny Baker, Buffalo Bill and friends at ranch and hunting.
- Albumen prints Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Artists -- Colorado. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Baker, Johnny, 1869-1931.
- Buffalo Bill, 1846-1917 -- History -- Pictorial works.
- Card photographs (photographs) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Crawford, Jack, 1847-1917 -- In literature.
- Entertainers -- Portraits. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Kelly, Luther S. (Luther Sage), 1849-1928 -- Archives.
- Letters (correspondence) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Painters -- Portraits. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photographic prints. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Poetry Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Scouting (Reconnaissance) -- History -- Pictorial works. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Stobie, Charles Stewart, 1845-1931 -- Archives.
- Stobie, Charles Stewart, 1845-1931 -- Portraits.
- Trappers -- Colorado -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Language of description
- Script of description