Nathaniel Merrill Papers
Scope and Contents
Collection contains an assortment of materials documenting aspects of Merrill's career: audio tape recordings of performances by Opera Colorado (1989, 1991-1995), Lyric Opera of Chicago (1977) and other companies/singers; performance photographs ; set designs (some by Robert O'Hearn); ephemera.
- Merrill, Nathaniel. (Person)
- Brussel, David, (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
Nathaniel Merrill (1927-2008) was a celebrated American stage and opera director. He was the resident stage director at the Metropolitan Opera House from 1960-1985. In Colorado, he staged 11 productions for the Central City Opera (1958-1963) and later served as the artistic director of the company (1972-1979). In 1983, he founded Opera Colorado, serving as the company's artistic director for almost two decades.
1 oversize box
2 Oversize file folder
10 Audiovisual Boxes
1 photo box
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift, David Brussel, 2009.
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
- Ephemera (general object genre) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Merrill, Nathaniel -- Archives.
- O'Hearn, Robert -- Pictorial works.
- Opera Colorado.
- Opera producers and directors -- Colorado -- Denver -- 20th century. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Operas (performances) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Personal papers Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Sound recordings Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Denver Public Library, Western History and Genealogy Repository
10 W. 14th Ave. Pkwy
Denver CO 80204 United States