John Dunning Papers
Scope and Contents
Collection contains copies of outlines, drafts, revisions, notes, proofs, research, manuscripts of published works, copies of speeches, correspondence, fan letters, schedule of Dunning's radio programs, Denver Post articles (1967-1970; 1974-1975).
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
Dunning was born in Brooklyn, N.Y. on Jan. 9, 1942. He moved to Denver, Colo. in 1964 and worked as a stable hand at a race track and for the The Denver Post. In 1981, Dunning opened a store specializing in second-hand and rare books. He created the character of Cliff Janeway, a Denver, Colo. based bookseller and ex-police officer, in 1996 in his first novel, Booked to Die, and received the Nero Award for excellence in mystery. Dunning is also known for his reference books on old-time radio. He continues to write and publish both non-fiction and detective themed books.
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
- Authors, American -- Colorado -- Denver. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Detective and mystery stories, American -- Manuscripts. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Dunning, John, 1942- -- Archives.
- Manuscripts for publication Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Personal papers Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script