William Alexander Carter Papers
Scope and Contents
Collection contains a letterbook (1866-1869) of Carter's Fort Bridger affairs; cash book (1864-1873); invoices; checks; Overland Stage Line passenger register (1863-1866); correspondence to and from Carter or members of his family; microfilm (Mflm 11) contains letterbook, correspondence, passenger register and cashbook.
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
William Alexander Carter was a sutler at Fort Bridger, Wyo. from 1857. Also served as postmaster, pony express agent, probate judge and justice of the peace until 1881.
1 oversize box
2 reels Microfilm
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Purchase; Rosenstock, Denver, Colo.; 1960, 1975. Purchase; Paul Harbaugh; ǂd 1991.
One photograph of Judge William A. Carter by Mathew Brady housed in repository's photographic collection.
Collection contains microfilm (Mflm11).
- Fort Bridger (Wyo.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Judges -- Wyoming -- 19th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Letters (Correspondence) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Microfilms Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Passenger lists Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Pioneers -- Wyoming -- Fort Bridger -- Correspondence. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the William Alexander Carter Papers
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script