Lafayette Hanchett Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection includes a typed compilation of entries from Hanchett's diaries (1887-1954); correspondence, clippings and photographs related to the Hanchett Building in Idaho Springs, Colorado (1974-1988); copies of other writings (1917-1953); and a personal scrapbook (undated).
Language of Materials
Material is in English.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
Lafayette Hanchett (1868-1955) was a businessman and financier. He was associated with the Labertine Mine in Idaho Springs, Colorado, and also worked as President of the Utah Power and Light Company. Hanchett authored the book: "Old Sheriff and Other True Tales," as well as many lectures and essays. Hanchett married Nellie G. Fonda in 1893.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift, Irene Quinn, 2008.
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
- Authors, American -- Colorado -- 20th century. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Diaries Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Hanchett, Lafayette, 1868-1955 -- Archives.
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Scrapbooks Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Western stories -- 20th century. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Language of description
- Script of description