Clayton D.R. Coates Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains military records (1944-1945); two 10th Mountain related scrapbooks compiled by Coates containing clippings, photographs, memorabilia, information on other soldiers (n.d.); personal memoir discussing Fort Ord, Calif. and Camp Hale, Colo. (1942-1943, n.d.); photograph album and loose photographs of Fort Lewis, American Lake, Mount Rainier, Wash., Camp Hale, Colo., Camp Croft, S.C., Jolon, Calif., and of combat operations on Kiska Island, Alaska and in Italy (1942-1945).
- Coates, Clayton D. R.,1921- (Person)
- Coates, Clayton D. R., 1921- (Person)
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
Clayton D. R. Coates was born in New Hampshire in 1921 and enlisted in the Army at Manchester, New Hampshire in 1942. At the time of enlistment he was unmarried, had completed four years of high school and working as a launderer. Coates joined the 10th Mountain Division at Fort Lewis, Washington, but also served at Fort Ord, California; Kiska, Alaska; Camp Hale, Colorado; and Camp Swift, Texas before being sent to Italy. He was initially assigned to Company G of the 87th Infantry Regiment, then served in Companys H and C of the Mountain Training Group. Coates was awarded the Bronze Star medal for his actions at the Apennine Mountains and the Po Valley in April 1945. He attained the rank of Private First Class.
1 oversize box
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Clayton Coates; Gift; 1997.
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of: 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Hale (Colo.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Camp Swift (Tex.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Coates, Clayton D. R., 1921- -- Archives.
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Military records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photograph albums Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Scrapbooks Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Correspondence. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 87th.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Clayton D.R. Coates Papers
- Keli Schmid
- March 19, 2020
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Denver Public Library, Western History and Genealogy Repository
10 W. 14th Ave. Pkwy
Denver CO 80204 United States