J. G. Brown papers
Scope and Contents
Collection contains notes in pencil recalling interview with Ulysses S. Grant during the General's visit to Colorado (1880); journal/autobiography (1865-1866) tells of his birth in Tennessee, brief description of childhood, narrative on his views of slavery and religion, recalls his service during the Civil War in the Confederate Army, Western Division, beginning in December 1861; scrapbook contains clippings, announcements, correspondence, programs about activities and members of Colorado Pioneer Printers (organized June 12, 1912), compiled by Brown, secretary. Collection also available on microfilm (C MSS Mflm194).
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
Joseph Granville Brown (1844-?) arrived in Denver in 1879. He was editor of the Denver Tribune from 1880-1884. From 1916 on, he was in charge of newspaper collection at the Denver Public Library. He was one of the founders and long-time secretary of Colorado Pioneer Printers, organization of persons connected with printing and publishing in Colorado prior to Jan. 17, 1888.
1 box ; .25 linear feet
1 microfilm reel (Mflm194)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift; Unknown donor; no date.
Collection includes microfilm Mflm 194.
Microfilm reel also contains: J. E. Thomas letters (WH1710; Mflm190; Rl1), Manning C. Hollowell papers (WH1700; Mflm191; RL1); Mrs. George McGrew diary (WH133; Mflm192; RL1), Anselm Holcomb Barker papers (WH480; Mflm193; RL1).
- Diaries Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Journalists -- Colorado -- Denver. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Microfilms Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Notes Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Printers -- Colorado. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Scrapbooks Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the J. G. Brown Papers
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Denver Public Library, Western History and Genealogy Repository
10 W. 14th Ave. Pkwy
Denver CO 80204 United States