Robert D. Newton Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains correspondence (1944-1947); ephemera, journals, notebooks (1942-1945); military papers (1940-1947); and Newton's scrapbook with additional items: personal ephemera, photographs, patches, pamphlets (ca.1940-1945).
- Check date
Language of Materials
Materials are in English.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
Robert D. Newton was born in Oregon in 1917 and enlisted in the Army in November 1940. At the time of his enlistment he was single, had a grammar school education and was working as a lumberman or raftsman. Newton joined the 10th Mountain Division at Fort Lewis, Wash., and also served at Camp Hale, Colo.; Fort Ord, Calif.; Kiska, Alaska; Camp Carson, Colo.; Camp Swift, Tex.; and Italy. He was assigned to Company H and then Company E of the 87th Regiment Medical Detachment, later with Headquarters of the 2nd Battalion. He was awarded the Bronze Star medal for his actions near Tole in April 1945 where he was later wounded in action. Newton achieved the rank of Technician Grade 4. He died in Calif. in 2001.
1 oversize boxes
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift; Robert D. Newton; 1991.
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of: 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Carson (Colo.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Camp Hale (Colo.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Camp Swift (Tex.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Ephemera (general object genre) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Military records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- National Association of the 10th Mountain Division, Inc.
- Newton, Robert D., 1917-2001 -- Archives.
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Scrapbooks Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Mountain Infantry Battalion, 2nd.
- United States. Army. Regiment Medical Detachment, 87th.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Robert D. Newton Papers
- Keli Schmid
- December 27, 2019
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script