A. Gardner Finn Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains biographical information and genealogy (n.d.); post-war correspondence (1997-2003); 10th Mountain Division related photographs of the Memorial Highway (Calif.), War Memorial (Tenn.), and vehicle license plates (1997, n.d.).
- Finn, A. Gardner,1917-2006. (Person)
- Finn, A. Gardner, 1917-2006, (Person)
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The imply Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
Aloysius Gardner Finn was born in Santa Cruz, California in 1917 and enlisted in the Army in San Francisco in 1941. At the time of enlistment, he was unmarried, had 2 years of college and was working as an insurance salesman. Finn received his basic training as a radio operator at Camp Roberts, California. He transferred to Ft. Lewis, Washington in 1941 joining the 87th Mountain Infantry Regiment and was later appointed to the grade of Master Sergeant. In 1943, he was appointed warrant officer, then chief warrant officer. He received a battlefield commission as a 2nd Lieutenant in Italy and during combat operations, was awarded the Bronze Star medal. Following the war, Finn served in the Army Reserve and attained the rank of Captain. He died in Sacramento, California in 2006.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift; A. Gardner Finn; 2003, 2004.
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
Collection incorporates former photo collection #2005.037.
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of: 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Biographies (documents) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Camp Hale (Colo.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Finn, A. Gardner, 1917-2006 -- Archives.
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- National Association of the 10th Mountain Division, Inc.
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Correspondence. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 87th.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- A. Gardner Finn Papers
- Keli Schmid
- April 22, 2020
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Denver Public Library, Western History and Genealogy Repository
10 W. 14th Ave. Pkwy
Denver CO 80204 United States