Daniels & Fisher Records
Scope and Contents
Collection contains Advertising Club of Denver award (1948); proclamation signed by William B. Daniels and William G. Fisher (1881); retail sales receipts (1901-1903); photocopy of last will and testament of William B. Daniels (1885); final preservation report compiled by Bennett Wagner and Grody Architects (1993); scrapbook with newspaper clippings about the store and its growth, including construction of the Daniels and Fisher Tower, 1910-1911; some correspondence, promotional material, tax receipts; blueprints and drawings of Daniels and Fisher Tower; financial ledger (1875-1883).
- Daniels & Fisher Stores Company (Denver, Colo.). (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
Leading Denver, Colo. department store established October 6, 1864 by William B. Daniels. Name changed after partnership with William G. Fisher in 1872. The Daniel and Fisher Department Store was once located on 16th Street between Lawrence and Arapahoe Streets. The firm was purchased by the Denver, Colo. based May Company (1957) which opened a new store at 16th Street and Court Place in August 1958 renamed May-D & F. Company later merged with Foley's Division (1993) and subsequently absorbed by Macy's (2005).
1 box (.25 linear feet)
1 oversize folio
3 oversize folders
1 microfilm reel (MFLM28)
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift; David Touff, general manager May-D & F, Denver, Colo.; 1964. Gift; Bob Rhodes, chief decorator May-D & F, Denver, Colo.; 2016.
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
Scrapbook in fragile condition; microfilm copy available (Mflm28).
- Daniels & Fisher Stores Company (Denver, Colo.) -- Archival resources.
- Daniels, William Cooke, 1870-1918.
- Department stores Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Department stores -- Colorado -- Denver. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Ephemera (general object genre) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Fisher, William Garrett, 1844-1897.
- Merchants -- Colorado -- Denver. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Microfilms Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Reports. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Finding Aid for the Daniels & Fisher Records
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script