Carl D. Kerekes Papers
Scope and Contents
Included in the collection are Kerekes' military records from office candidate school (1944) and a copy of his memoir: "Recollections - Ski Troops at War" (2000).
- 1944, 2000
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
Carl D. Kerekes was born in Mich. in 1924 and enlisted as a Private in the Army at Kalamazoo, Mich. in 1943. At the time of his enlistment he had completed four years of high school, worked as a payroll clerk or timekeeper and was unmarried. Kerekes joined the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Hale, Colo. and was assigned to the 90th Infantry Regiment, later to Company C and G of the 86th Infantry Regiment and then to Company B of the 85th. He attended Officer Candidate School at Fort Benning, Ga. from July through November 1944 before being transferred to Camp Swift, Tex. and then to Italy. Kerekes received the Bronze Star medal for his actions at Mt. Gorgolesco in February 1945, and the Silver Star medal for his actions at Mt. Della Spe in March 1945. He attained the rank of First Lieutenant. Kerekes died in 2007.
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift, Carl D. Kerekes, 2000.
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of: 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Hale (Colo.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Camp Swift (Tex.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Kerekes, Carl D., 1924-2007 -- Archives.
- Memoirs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Military records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Correspondence. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 86th.
- United States. Army. Mountain Infantry Regiment, 85th.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script