Torger D. Tokle Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains copies of Tokle's military personnel records (1945, 1947), clippings, and an account of Tokle written by George Edward Creel.
- Tokle, Torger D., 1919-1945. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
Torger Tokle was born in Trondheim, Norway in 1919. He came to the United States in January 1939 to participate in a ski tournament at Bear Mountain Park, N.Y. Tokle continued to compete successfully as a skier until enlisting in the Army at Ft. Jay, Governor's Island, N.Y. in 1942. At the time of his enlistment he was unmarried, had completed grammar school and worked in the construction business. He joined the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Hale, Colo. and was assigned to Company A of the 86th Infantry Regiment. Tokle later served at Camp Swift, Tex. before being sent to Italy. In March 1945, Tokle was killed in action at Mt. Della Torraccia. He received the Bronze Star Medal posthumously and had attained the rank of Technical Sergeant.
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Source unknown. Gift, Jim Wilson, 2016
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of: 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Hale (Colo.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Camp Swift (Tex.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Clippings (information artifacts) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Military records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Personnel records. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Tokle, Torger D., 1919-1945 -- Archives.
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 86th.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script