Thomas E. Hilliard Jr. Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains a scrapbook compiled by Thomas Hilliard, Jr. with postcards, commendations, German propaganda leaflets, articles and other ephemera collected by his father during the war.
Language of Materials
Materials are in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
Thomas E. Hilliard was born in North Carolina in 1922 and enlisted in the Army in July 1940 at Richmond, Va. At the time of his enlistment he was unmarried, had completed three years of high school and working in textile manufacturing. Hilliard joined the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Carson, Colo. and was later stationed at Camp Swift, Tex. He served in the Headquarters Company of the 616th Infantry Regiment, Headquarters of the 10th Mountain Division and Headquarters of the 85th Infantry Regiment. Hilliard received the Bronze Star medal for his actions in the Apennines and the Po River area in the spring of 1945 and attained the rank of Master Sergeant. Hilliard died in 1995.
1 oversize box
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift; Mr. and Mrs. Thomas E. Hilliard Jr.; 1991.
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of: 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Hale (Colo.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Camp Swift (Tex.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Ephemera (general object genre) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Hilliard, Thomas E., Jr., 1922-1995 -- Archives.
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Scrapbooks Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Correspondence. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Mountain Infantry Regiment, 616th.
- United States. Army. Mountain Infantry Regiment, 85th.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Thomas E. Hilliard Jr. Papers
- Keli Schmid
- December 28, 2019
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script