William S. Nicholson Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains photographs (ca.1942) depicting Company C of the 87th Mountain Infantry training on or near Mount Rainier, Wash. The photographic prints were made from an undeveloped roll of film found by Nicholson in 2004.
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The imply Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
William Sidwell Nicholson was born in Rhode Island in 1919 and enlisted in the Army in 1941. At the time of enlistment he was unmarried, had completed four years of high school and was working as a typist. Nicholson joined the 10th Mountain Division at Fort Lewis, Washington. He was assigned to the 87th Mountain Infantry Regiment before being selected for officer's candidate school. Commissioned a 2nd Lieutenant, Nicholson returned to serve with the 86th Infantry Regiment. He was wounded in action near Iola, Italy in March 1945.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift; William Nicholson; 2004.
Collection incorporates former photo collection #2005.30.
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of: 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Fort Lewis (Wash.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Nicholson, William S., 1919- -- Archives.
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Pictorial works. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 86th.
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 87th.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- William S. Nicholson Papers
- Keli Schmid
- April 20, 2020
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script