Chester Calvin Carpenter Genealogy
Scope and Contents
Collection contains original family correspondence with transcripts (1845-1921), marriage announcement (1923), newspaper clippings (1889), obituaries (1839, 1889, 1905), digital copies of family photographs. CD-ROM contains additional documents and photographs.
- Majority of material found in 1839-2009
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
C. C. Carpenter was born in Penn. in 1834. He was a graduate of Harvard Univ., and taught school before settling in Golden City, Kansas Terr. (present day Golden, Colo.) in 1860. Initially he ran a saloon and hotel, but was later appointed clerk of the U.S. District Court for Jefferson County. Elected a judge In 1880, he served until his death in 1889. Carpenter was married to Lydia Maynard (1837-1921), the couple had two daughters: Mary Alice Carpenter Sadtler (1866-1947), Frances Johanna Carpenter Curtis (1868-1899). His sisters were Samantha Belcher and Angenette Smith.
1 oversize box
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift, Esther Zick, 2009.
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
- Belcher family -- Genealogy.
- Belcher, Samantha -- Archives.
- Carpenter family -- Genealogy.
- Carpenter, Chester Calvin, 1834-1889 -- Archives.
- Carpenter, Chester, 1813-1839 -- Archives.
- Carpenter, Lydia Maynard, 1837-1921 -- Archives.
- Frontier and pioneer life -- Colorado -- Golden -- 19th century. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Genealogies (histories) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Judges -- Colorado -- Golden -- 19th century. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Letters (correspondence) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Smith family -- Genealogy.
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script