George A. Wemple Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains a scrapbook with newspaper clippings from various newspapers including the "Blizzard" (ca.1943-1945).
- 1942-1945, Unknown
- Wemple, George A.,1911-1997. (Person)
- Simon, Matlida, (Person)
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
George Wemple was born in New York in 1911 and enlisted in the Army at Albany, New York in April 1942. At the time of enlistment he was married, had completed one year of college and working as a salesman. Wemple joined the 10th Mountain Division and was stationed at Fort Lewis, Washington; Camp Hale, Colorado; Fort Ord, California; Kiska Island, Alaska; Camp Carson, Colorado; and Camp Swift, Texas before being sent to Italy. He served with Companies F and K of the 87th Infantry Regiment. He was wounded in action near Cimon della Piella in spring 1945. Wemple attained the rank of Staff Sergeant. He died in Gloversville, New York in 1997.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift; Matilda Simon; 1997.
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
Collection incorporates former TMD scrapbook #54.
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of: 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Carson (Colo.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Camp Hale (Colo.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Camp Swift (Tex.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Clippings (information artifacts) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Scrapbooks Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 87th.
- Wemple, George A., 1911-1997 -- Archives.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- George A. Wemple Papers
- Keli Schmid
- March 26, 2020
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Denver Public Library, Western History and Genealogy Repository
10 W. 14th Ave. Pkwy
Denver CO 80204 United States