Stephen W. Grainer Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains Grainer scrapbook with documentation on the Italian campaign and the 10th Mountain Division's return to the United States at the conclusion of the war.
Language of Materials
Materials are in English.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
Stephen Webster Grainer was born in Yonkers, N.Y. in 1924 and joined the Army at New York City in 1943. At the time of enlistment he was single, had completed four years of high school and worked as a marine fireman and file clerk. Grainer joined the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Hale (Colo.). He was assigned to Company I of the 86th Infantry, later with Company D of the 86th and Company C of the 85th Infantry Regiment before transfer to Camp Swift (Tex.) and service in Italy. Grainer was awarded the Bronze Star medal for his actions during the Mt. Della Spe in March 1945. He attained the rank of Staff Sergeant. Grainer died in Fla. in 1996.
1 oversize box
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift; Stephen W. Grainer; 1989
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of: 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Hale (Colo.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Camp Swift (Tex.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Clippings (information artifacts) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Grainer, Stephen W., 1924-1996 -- Archives.
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- National Association of the 10th Mountain Division, Inc.
- Scrapbooks Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Correspondence. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 86th.
- United States. Army. Mountain Infantry Regiment, 85th.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Stephen W. Grainer Papers
- Keli Schmid
- December 27, 2019
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script