Francis W. Penny Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains 77 black and white and color photographs depicting training at Camp Hale, Colo. and Camp Swift, Tex., with additional prints from Tenn. and Italy (1943-1945).
- Penny, Francis W.,1913-1997. (Person)
- Stone, Laurel, (Person)
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The imply Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
Francis W. Penny was born in Garrison, New York in 1913 and enlisted in the Army at New York City, New York in 1943. At the time of enlistment he was married and had completed some post-graduate college course work. Penny joined the 10th Mountain Division while it was engaged in mountain and winter warfare training at Camp Hale, Colorado. He was assigned to Company L of the 85th Infantry and later served with Company I of the 85th Regiment. During combat operations in Italy Penny received the Bronze Star medal in the spring of 1945. He died in 1997.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift; Laurel Stone; 2004.
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of: 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Black-and-white photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Camp Hale (Colo.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Color photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Penny, Francis W., 1913-1997 -- Archives.
- Ski troops. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Photographs. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 86th.
- United States. Army. Mountain Infantry Regiment, 85th.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Francis W. Penny Papers
- Keli Schmid
- April 10, 2020
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Denver Public Library, Western History and Genealogy Repository
10 W. 14th Ave. Pkwy
Denver CO 80204 United States