Ralph Mattson Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains b/w photographs of Camp Hale, Colo., Camp Swift, Tex., and Italy (1943-1945).
- Mattson, Ralph,1921- (Person)
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The imply Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
Ralph Mattson was born in Stone Ridge, New York in 1921 and enlisted in the Army at New York City in 1943. At the time of enlistment, he was unmarried, had completed one year of high school and was working as a skilled welder. Mattson joined what would later become the 10th Mountain Division while it was engaged in mountain and winter warfare training at Camp Hale, Colorado. He participated in the invasion of Kiska Island, Alaska and in combat operations in Italy. Mattson was assigned to the 87th Mountain Infantry Regiment and served with Company I, later with Company L. He was awarded the Silver Star medal for gallantry in March 1945 for his actions near Mount della Vedetta.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift; Unknown; Unknown.
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
Collection incorporates former photo collection #2005.027.
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of: 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Black-and-white photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Camp Hale (Colo.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Camp Swift (Tex.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mattson, Ralph, 1921- -- Archives.
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Ski troops. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Pictorial works. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 87th.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Ralph Mattson Papers
- Keli Schmid
- April 20, 2020
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script