Stanley T. Walker Papers
Scope and Contents
Collection contains biographical information, obituary (2013), photographs and slides (1943-2000), newsletters, reunion rosters, correspondence, clippings, ephemera.
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The imply Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
Stanley T. Walker was born on July 23, 1922 to Esther and Russell Walker, in Peabody, Massachusetts. He married Barbara E. Thatcher on December 11, 1943. In 1944, Walker was drafted into the United States Army and joined the 10th Mountain Division. At Camp Hale, Walker was a skiing, climbing and winter warfare instructor. He went on with the Division to fight in Italy, and was part of the unit that stormed Riva Ridge. He earned the Expert Infantryman’s Badge, the Combat Infantryman’s Badge, a Bronze Star Medal with Oak Leaf Cluster. In 1948, Walker represented the USA in the Winter Olympics in St. Moriz, Switzerland by carrying the United States banner in the opening ceremonies. Following his retirement from the Army in 1963, Walker worked as a postal carrier for 20 years and continued to ski whenever he got the chance. Stanley Walker passed away on June 3, 2013.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift; Barbara Brown; 2016.
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of: 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Hale (Colo.) -- Archival resources. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Personal papers Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 86th -- Archival resources.
- Walker, Stanley T. (Stanley Theodore), 1922-2013 -- Archives.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Stanley T. Walker Papers
- Keli Schmid
- October 15, 2020
- Description rules
- Anglo-American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script