Joseph P. Mayo Papers
Scope and Contents
Collection contains 77 b/w photographs depicting images taken during the Italian Campaign, training at Camp Hale, Colo.
- Mayo, Joseph P.,1924-2008. (Person)
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The imply Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
Joseph P. Mayo was born March 26, 1924 in Quincy, Massachusetts. He graduated from Quincy High School, Massanutten Military Academy, Boston University and the Master’s program at Boston State College. He enlisted in the Army on June 25, 1943 in Boston. Assigned to A Company, 85th Infantry Regiment, 10th Mountain Division, Mayo served at Camp Hale, Colorado; Camp Swift, Texas and in Italy. He was wounded in action at Mount Belvedere on February 20, 1945. Following the War, Mayo coached football at numerous high schools and colleges. He was a member of the American Football Coaches Association. Mayo was an avid sailor, who had garnered trophies and awards in numerous races. He wrote a movie script and stage play, and worked fifteen summer seasons as a character actor in thirty-five musical productions. Mayo and his wife, Judith had one son and two daughters. Mayo passed away in Marco Island, Florida on September 27, 2008.
1 photo box
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift; Melissa Mayo Williams; 2010.
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of: 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Hale (Colo.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Camp Swift (Tex.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mayo, Joseph P., 1924-2008 -- Archives.
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Pictorial works. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Mountain Division, 10th -- Pictorial works.
- United States. Army. Mountain Infantry Regiment, 85th -- Pictorial works.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Pictorial works. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Joseph P. Mayo Papers
- Keli Schmid
- June 30, 2020
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script