William Murry Jr. Papers
Scope and Contents
Collection contains a scrapbook with more than 100 b/w photos of Camp Hale and the Italian Campaign, and related ephemera.
- Murry, William,Jr.,1920-2006. (Person)
- Murry, William, Jr., 1920-2006 (Person)
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The imply Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
William "Billy" Murry Jr. was born on February 26, 1925 in El Reno, Oklahoma and enlisted in the Army at Denver, Colorado on April 16, 1943. At the time of enlistment Murry had completed grammar school, was unmarried and employed as a sheet metal worker. He joined the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Hale, Colorado and was as a member of Headquarters of the 3rd Battalion, Headquarters Company and Company F of the 86th Infantry Regiment; and Company I and Headquarters Company of the 85th Infantry Regiment. Murray was also stationed at Camp Swift, Texas before being sent to Italy. During the Italian Campaign Murry recieved the Silver Star Medal for his actions at Torre Iussi on April 14, 1945 and was wounded in action at Riva del Garda on May 2, 1945. He attained the rank of Sergeant. Murry died on January 30, 2006 in Grand Rapids, Minn.
1 photo box
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift; William Murry Jr.; 1995.
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of: 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Hale (Colo.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Ephemera (general object genre) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Murry, William, Jr., 1920-2006 -- Archives.
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Scrapbooks Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops -- Pictorial works. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Pictorial works. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 86th -- Archival resources.
- United States. Army. Mountain Infantry Regiment, 85th -- Archival resources.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Pictorial works. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- William Murry Jr. Papers
- Keli Schmid
- May 8, 2020
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Denver Public Library, Western History and Genealogy Repository
10 W. 14th Ave. Pkwy
Denver CO 80204 United States