James Harry Penrose Jr. Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains a scrapbook of articles, clippings about the Italian and Kiska Island campaigns. There is also original correspondence, memoir, officer's notebook, cartoons and photographs of Kiska Island, Alaska and Camp Hale, Colo. (1943-1945).
- Majority of material found in 1943-1945
- Penrose, James Harry,Jr.,1918-1993. (Person)
- Penrose, Hannah S., (Person)
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
James H. Penrose was born in Albany, New YOrk in 1918 and enlisted in the Army at Albany on July 3, 1942. At the time of enlistment he was unmarried, had attended four years of college and was working as an addressing-embossing machine operator. Penrose joined the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Hale, Colorado and was assigned to 1st Battalion Headquarters of the 87th Infantry Regiment, and later also served with Company C of the 87th. He was stationed at Fort Ord, California; Kiska Island, Alaska; Camp Carson, Colorado; Camp Hale, Colorado; and Camp Swift, Texas before being sent to Italy. Penrose was wounded in action at Querciola in February 1945. He attained the rank of First Lieutenant. Penrose died in Albany, New York in 1993.
1 oversize box
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Hannah S. Penrose; Gift; 1995, 2014.
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of: 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Carson (Colo.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Camp Hale (Colo.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Camp Swift (Tex.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Clippings (information artifacts) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Penrose, Jame Harry, Jr., 1918-1993 -- Archives.
- Scrapbooks Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 87th.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- James Harry Penrose Jr. Papers
- Keli Schmid
- March 18, 2020
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Denver Public Library, Western History and Genealogy Repository
10 W. 14th Ave. Pkwy
Denver CO 80204 United States