Annie E. Blake Papers
Scope and Contents
Collection contains two scrapbooks of newspaper clippings about Colorado pioneer days and settlers and about Mrs. Blake's Steinberger relatives. Loose items include financial records and mainly concern Steinberger family. Some photographs housed in repository's photographic collection.
Photo album includes views of Canada and the state of Colorado. Canada: images of Montmorency Falls; the Metabetchouan River; Quebec City; a Hudson Bay Company post; the Ouitchouan River; Livernois, Quebec; Lake Edwards; Lake Bouchette; the Jeannotte River; Little Saguenay (near St. Raymond); Riviere a Pierre; group portrait of Montagnais Indians at Pointe Bleue. Colorado: Glenwood Canyon and the Colorado River; Gore Canyon; Georgetown; Denver - Larimer Street, 16th (Sixteenth Street), Grand View Hotel, water works, houses, and Arapahoe Street; Brownsville (Clear Creek County); mining on clear Creek near Georgetown; Canon City and the penitentiary; Platte Canyon and South Platte River; rock formations in Monument Park (El Paso County); South Park; Manitou Springs; Royal Gorge and the Arkansas River. Identified studio portraits of George Crawford; Mrs. Brainard; Col. Craig and Defenbaugh; Miss Ring the first school teacher in Denver; Al Sazee; Madam Wakely, Fred Wyankoop wife; Edith Rollins, now Mrs. Phelps; Dr. Dunott and his wife and son Tom; Amanda Lelor; Billy Powers; and Mr. Merritt. Unidentified studio portraits: men, women, and children identified as Colorado pioneers.
- Blake, Annie E., 1837-1926 (Person)
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
Annie E. Blake (1837-1926) was the wife of Charles H. Blake, pioneer Denver, Colo. merchant. B. June 14, 1837. Daughter of Anthony Steinberger, pioneer Colorado druggist. Arrived Colorado 1858; married C.H. Blake 1861. Lived mainly Denver and Pueblo, Colo. D. Dec. 29, 1926.
1 Boxes ; 1 linear foot
1 Oversize file folder
1 photo boxes
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Purchase; Fred Rosenstock, Denver, Colo.; 1975.
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
Collection includes former C Photo Album 381.
Album pages are acidic, have foxing, are tattered; photographic prints and cartes de visite show soiling and discoloration.
- Blake, Annie E., 1837-1926 -- Archives.
- Blake, Charles H., -- Archives.
- Canada -- History -- Pictorial works. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Cartes-de-visite (card photographs) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Colorado -- History -- Pictorial works. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Personal papers Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photograph albums Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographic prints. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Pioneers -- Colorado -- Biography. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Pioneers -- Colorado -- History -- Pictorial works. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Scrapbooks Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Studio portraits Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Women pioneers -- Colorado -- Biography. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Annie E. Blake Papers.
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script