Scope and Contents
Collection contains audio tape interviews conducted by Gallegos with former residents of the neighborhood, governmental officials, activists, theater related individuals and musicians. Approximately 12 of the interviews have a transcript; also included are 5 transcripts for taped interviews not found in the collection: History of Auraria class contract, Dennis Bryan, Gloria Rodriguez, Peggy Olona, Gonzales reunion.
- Check date
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
Contact Western History/Genealogy Dept., Denver Public Library, Denver, Colorado.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Gallegos is interested in documenting and preserving the social and cultural history of her former Denver, Colo. neighborhood, Auraria, through writting and oral histories. The location was originally known as the town of Auraria. It was founded in Kansas Territory in 1858 by gold miners from Auraria, Ga. The area is bordered by the west bank of Cherry Creek to the east bank of the South Platte River, and on the south by Colfax Ave. Once a neighborhood consisting of private homes, churches and businesses, the location now contains the Auraria Campus, made up of the University of Colorado at Denver (UCD), Community College of Denver, and Metropolitan State College of Denver. The 9th St. Historic Park on the campus contains some remnants of the residential and commercial structures that used to be located throughout the neighborhood.
35 sound cassettes
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift;Magdalena Gallegos ;1999-2010.
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
Collection contains materials originally found in WH1364.
- Alcaro, Martha -- Interviews.
- Altamirano, Lucila -- Interviews.
- Anders, John -- Interviews.
- Auraria (Colo.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Chavez, Molly -- Interviews.
- DeLeon, Russell Tiva -- Interviews.
- Espinoza, Eloy -- Interviews.
- Espinoza, Maria -- Interviews.
- Gallegos, Don -- Interviews.
- Gallegos, Magdalena -- Archives.
- Garcia, Tony -- Interviews.
- Gonzales-Zimmerman, Maria -- Interviews.
- Gonzalez, Corky -- Interviews.
- Gonzalez, Nita -- Interviews.
- Hispanic Americans -- Colorado -- Auraria -- 20th century. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- LaRoe, Helen Quezada -- Interviews.
- Lopez, Juanita -- Interviews.
- Lowenstein, Henry -- Interviews.
- Martinez, Debbie -- Interviews.
- Oral histories (document genres) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Pérez, María -- Interviews.
- Quezada, Ramon -- Interviews.
- Rodríguez, Freddie -- Interviews.
- Sandoval, Floyd -- Interviews.
- Sandoval, Peggy -- Interviews.
- Sigala, Ida -- Interviews.
- Stoner, Nea Lopez -- Interviews.
- Torres family -- Interviews.
- Transcripts Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Valdez, Bernie -- Interviews.
- Velasquez, Diana -- Interviews.
- Vigil, Louise -- Interviews.
- Finding Aid for the Auraria remembered,1983-1997[sound recording]
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script