Francis W. Lovett oral history
Scope and Contents
The interview provides information and personal observations about applying to join the 10th Mountain Division; training at Camp Hale, Colo., Fitzsimons Army Medical Center, Colo., and Camp Swift, Tex.; fighting in Italy; post World War II life, education and family.
- November 19, 2015
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Francis William "Bud" Lovett was born July 9, 1922 in Northampton, Mass. and enlisted in the Army on March 22, 1943 at Fort Devens, Mass. At the time of his enlistment, he was unmarried, had completed one year of college and working as an actor. Lovett joined the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Hale, Colo. and was assigned to the 86th Mountain Infantry, Company D, but later served with various Medical Companies with the 85th Mountain Infantry Regiment. He was also stationed at Camp Swift, Tex. and in Italy. Lovett sustained injury and earned several medals during March-April, 1945 at San Cristoforo and Famaticcia: 2 Bronze Star Medals; American service medal; European, African, Middle Eastern Medal; World War II Victory Medal; Good Conduct Medal; and Combat Medical Badge. Following the war, he obtained an MA in English and served as teacher, headmaster and principal for various schools.
1 videodiscs (DVD)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
File size: 4.14GB
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of the 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Hale (Colo.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Camp Swift (Tex.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- DVDs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Lovett, Francis W. (Francis William), Jr. 1922- -- Interviews.
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oral histories (document genres) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops -- History -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 86th.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Francis W. Lovett oral history,November 19, 2015
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script