Ashcroft Family Papers
Scope and Contents
Collection contains family papers, photographs, correspondence, documents, school records. Some of the materials and photographs are identified for the following individuals: Schuyler Swearingen, Hazel Swearingen, Theodore Ashcroft, Edward Ashcroft, Ronald Ashcroft, Walter Ashcroft, Eva Ashcroft, William Pray, Peter Ashcroft. A group of photographs: studio portraits, mining scenes related to Georgetown taken by Colo. photographer George Dalgleish are included.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
Henry and Sarah Ashcroft and their son, Peter (b.1862) emigrated to Iowa from Montreal Quebec, Canada in the late 1860s. While in Iowa, two daughers: Hannah and Elizabeth were born to the family. Later the Ashcroft family moved to Georgetown, Colo. where Henry Ashcroft found work as a miner. Peter Ashcroft was also a miner in Georgetown. He and his wife, Susan, had five children: Walter D., Eva, Mary E., Ronald, and Edward. The Peter Ashcroft family later moved to a farm near Collbran, Mesa County, Colo. to help soothe Peter Ashcroft's respiratory problems caused from miner's lung.
1 Boxes (.25 linear feet)
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift, Terry L. Pickens, 2010.
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
- Ashcraft family -- Archives.
- Clear Creek County (Colo.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Clippings (information artifacts) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Edward Spencer Ashcroft, 1941-2007 -- Archives.
- Ephemera (general object genre) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Family papers Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Henry Ashcroft -- Archives.
- Mesa County (Colo.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Peter Ashcroft, 1862- -- Archives.
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Swearingen family -- Archives.
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script